Friday, November 30, 2007

Chicken with Apples and Bacon

Ingredients of the latest dish I've cooked:

  • a whole, small chicken from Reynolds Natural Grassfed in Schuyler, VA

  • several apples from local orchards

  • bacon from Double H Farm

  • cider from Showalter Orchard

  • onions from the farmers' market

  • dijon mustard

  • balsamic vinegar

  • thyme

  • salt and pepper


(I could have used some of the local thyme from Brightwood Vineyard and Farm that I've got hanging up to dry, but I decided to use up the end of the store-bought thyme instead. Next recipe will be the local stuff!)

The big adventure in cooking the chicken with apples and bacon was cutting the chicken up into parts. This is the first time I've done that, although I have taken apart a half chicken before. I followed the instructions in the Joy of Cooking. I didn't do a very professional job of it, but in the end I got the chicken broken down into two breasts and two legs. I put the wings and backbone into a plastic bag in the freezer for making stock in the future.

Also cooked recently: chili with local ground beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes and dried oregano. (Plus some non-local beans, spices, and additional tomatoes.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even without seeing the recipe, just from the description and ingredients list this sounds delicious.

And on another note, I still can't see your captcha with Firefox, but with Inernet Exploder I can, so now I have one reason not to uninstall the bloody thing.