Saturday, October 6, 2007

Market Day!

I had a grand time at the Charlottesville City Market (or as I call it, simply "the farmers' market" or "the Saturday farmers' market") this morning. With the fall break ahead of me, I was feeling optimistic about the opportunity to do some cooking and canning. I ended up spending about $120 and hauling away approximately 42 and a half pounds of food. (I made two trips to the car.)

When I got home I unloaded all of my purchases onto the dining table and weighed them on my kitchen scale, just to revel in the bounty of it all. I took pictures, but I can't upload them just now because I neglected to bring the camera with me to the library.

Among my purchases:


  • almost 15 lbs of tomatoes (from Waterpenny Farm and the Farm at Red Hill), to try canning

  • a petite three-pound whole chicken and a dozen eggs from a farm whose name I can't remember; I'm thinking about doing a recipe with chicken, apples, and bacon

  • a piece of pork (Boston butt) from Babes in the Wood; I'm planning to slow-cook it somehow with Bone Suckin' Sauce from North Carolina

  • fresh herbs from Brightwood Vineyard and Farm and Radical Roots

  • figs (!)

  • a pound of "free" chevre from Satyrfield Farm

  • chestnuts

  • loads of apples (about six and three quarter pounds)

  • just over four pounds of peaches: when are those trees going to quit for the season?

  • a whole bunch of different vegetables



Earlier today I made myself a late lunch / early dinner of stir fry with:

  • onion from Radical Roots

  • yellow summer squash also from Radical Roots

  • carrots from Roundabout Farm Roundabout Farm

  • green beans from the farmers' market

  • baby bok choy from (the embattled) Double H Farm

  • red bell pepper from the farmer's market

  • tofu from Twin Oaks

  • ginger root

  • some soy sauce, vinegar, salt, etc.



The colors of all the veggies were so pretty, I should have taken a picture, but I was in too much of a hurry to eat the beautiful food, not photograph it!

No comments: