Sunday, September 23, 2007

Charlottesville Carnivore

Recent dishes:

Delicious (but not very photogenic) meatloaf made with

  • "forest fed" ground pork from Babes in the Wood

  • grass-finished ground beef from another local farm

  • a local egg

  • cracker crumbs

  • worcestershire sauce

  • various dried herbs that I don't remember off the top of my head

  • and topped with curry ketchup from Montebello Kitchens



Delicious (but not photogenic, either) "Indian burgers" made with

  • grass-finished ground beef from a local farm

  • my homemade yogurt

  • mint from the farmers' market

  • onion from the farmers' market

  • ginger root

  • various dried spices that I don't remember off the top of my head

  • topped with slices of tomatoes from Waterpenny Farm and cucumbers from the farmer's market

  • and served between slices of sunflower wheat bread from BreadWorks


In the stock pot right now:


  • a local chicken

  • with basil from Waterpenny Farm

  • and garlic from the farmers' market



. . . soon to be joined by


  • carrots from Roundabout Farm

  • onions from the farmers' market

  • celery from Double H Farm

  • potatoes from the farmers' market

  • parsley from the farmers' market



I'm looking forward to some nice soup!

2 comments:

Mara said...

Sounds delicious! I am also in C-ville, and also trying to eat local-- but I'm just getting started. Glad to find your blog, I'm sure it will help my quest!

Kristin said...

Mara, thanks for reading! I hope you are enjoying some of the late-season local produce.